I've had insomnia for the past few weeks. I can fall asleep but wake up 3 or 4 times a night. Any advice?

Dr. Dennis Clifford
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Reduce stress
Generally insomnia that is new and short term is related to stressors at home or at work.
Try and identify stress you can reduce in your life and use good sleep hygiene. Sleep medications may be helpful short term to allow a good night of sleep.

In brief: Reduce stress
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Dennis Clifford
2 comments
Dr. Glen Elliott
Agree with above, but most sleep medications are good at getting you to sleep, not keeping you there.
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Sleep Hygiene and establishing bed-time routine is important. With routine, your body will learn that at a certain time it's time for sleep. Make sure your room is a little on a chilly side, take a warm shower before bed. Relaxation, deep breathing, white noise machines -- all can be helpful to get some goodnight rest.
Dr. PERRY ZUCKERMAN
In brief: What is the cause?
See doctor. Is insomnia new or did you have it before a few weeks ago? Doctor needs to look into possible physical causes first [for example, apnea? Other disease? Other medications? Drug abuse?].
Then, consider psychiatric causes [e.g., depression/anxiety, bipolar, other]. Finally, if appropriate, sleep medicine can help: ambien, lunesta, (eszopiclone) trazodone, doxepin, others.

In brief: What is the cause?
Dr. PERRY ZUCKERMAN
Dr. PERRY ZUCKERMAN
Dr. K. Olson
In brief: Periodic limb move
Periodic limb movement disorder is characterized by occasional difficulty getting to sleep because of inability to get comfortable - and more importantly non-restorative sleep due to sleep disruptions from periodic tossing, turning, jerking, or kicking.
A bedmate would confirm this as could the am sheets a mess.There are specific medications for this condition. Remember the goal is restful sleep.

In brief: Periodic limb move
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
In brief: Cause?
Important to know the cause: any recent issue in life that causes this? Too much caffeine? Do you get up to go to bathroom? I would see a sleep doc to get a full evaluation.

In brief: Cause?
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Eric Weisman