Can you drink alcohol while taking valacyclovir?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Can but shouldn't
Although there are no drug-drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) interactions listed, it is always best to avoid mixing medications with alcohol.
Alcohol alone is irritating to the stomach and acts as a depressant and affects rational judgment.

In brief: Can but shouldn't
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. John Moranville
While it is optimal to not drink alcohol at all when using other drugs, complete abstinence is not realistic. I usually tell patients no more than 1 drink at a time with most psychiatric medications, but I also advise that many medications may amplify the sedation and slowed reaction time while driving or focusing on other complex activities. 1 drink = 1 shot, 1-12oz beer, or 8 oz of wine.
Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Valacyclovir
The company suggest that you should be well hydrated when taking valacyclovir, and use of alcohol, especially heavy use, will cause dehydration.

In brief: Valacyclovir
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers