6 yr old had runny nose for a week now has fever, runny nose, earache, and red throat. Doctor said probably virus then next da said to take augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate).

See below. As you may be aware, ear or throat infection resolves by itself, not too infrequently. Acute otitis media in children over 2 years old may be handled in different way, so called watch & see approach instead of treating with antibiotics when seen.
Passage of time. Your doctor probably felt that what started off as viral became bacterial because of the passage of time and the finding of a possible ear infection.
That's correct. The viral infection in the upper respiratory airways, which is running for a week, seems like had a complication such as an acute otitis (ear infection), that's why your doctor prescribed the course of antibiotics.