I am 20 years old and I cannot get pregnant. I have been trying for 2 years and I am afraid something is wrong with me. Is this very common?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Not common
Most 20 year olds will get pregnant within 2 years of trying, so it is time to be evaluated; if there is a problem it may be very treatable.
An important thing to realize is that 40-50% of the time when there are fertility issues the problem is with the male, and it is generally much easier to assess whether a man has fertility problems, so that is usually the best place to start!

In brief: Not common
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Not at 20
Infertility affects 15% of all women, but at age 20, it is extremely uncommon for a woman to try and not be pregnant for over 2 years.
Certainly you will want to be evaluated by a specialist to figure out why this has been so difficult for you. There are some easy tests and the evaluation is pretty quick.

In brief: Not at 20
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Jane Van Dis