What are the things you should do before you go under general anesthesia?

Dr. Scott Roethle
Anesthesiology

In brief: Meet anesthesiologis

General anesthesia is very safe.
It is important to not eat the day of surgery, take any medications they tell you to early in the morning with some water. Discuss with the anesthesiologist your medical history, your procedure, and the anesthetic plan. Then relax, we'll take good care of you.

In brief: Meet anesthesiologis

General anesthesia is very safe.
Dr. Scott Roethle
Dr. Scott Roethle
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Pre-op

Nothing to eat or drink for 6 hours.
Take medication with a sip of water. Do not take blood thinners for several days. Do not take oral diabetes medication the day of surgery.

In brief: Pre-op

Nothing to eat or drink for 6 hours.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology

In brief: Ask questions

Also, drink clear fliuds without alcohol so that you are nto thirsty.
Helps disolve pills, wash out stomach acis, makes for less nausea, makes I.V. Easier to start, blood pressure more stable. Ask anesthesiologist what the results are; # I.V. Sticks, ways to go to sleep without an I.V., % without any trouble, time to discharge, % without narcotics, nausea or pain, average pain score.

In brief: Ask questions

Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Hydrate

I always suggest to my patients that they hydrate before an operation.
I fell that this decreases their chance of nausea and vomiting after an anesthetic, as well as decrease their chances of major blood pressure swings. I would talk to your anesthesiologist and see if they have other suggestions to make your experience as good as possible.

In brief: Hydrate

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery