What would cause a thigh to be numb?

Meralgia parestheica. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve can get pinched causing a numb area on the front of or outside part of the thigh. Get an exam by a doctor though because your symptom may also be due to other more serious causes.
Pinched nerve. This could be due to "pinched" nerves. Where is the big question. It could be at the level of the spine, within a muscle or it could be a small superficial peripheral muscle. If it really is just a patch of numbness on your thigh it could be "meralgia paresthetica" a benign condition. But to be sure have it examined by your doctor.