Why do my newborn's eyes tear up and get crusty?

Dr. Richard Hector
Ophthalmology
In brief: Supportive care
I agree and would like to add that supportive care, warm compresses and gentle massage of the area where the lower eye lid meets the nose will help.
If there is a lot of discharge, a topical antibiotic may be needed. Bring this to the attention of your pediatrician during your next appointment.

In brief: Supportive care
Dr. Richard Hector
Dr. Richard Hector
Dr. Thomas McDonagh
In brief: Blocked tear duct
Many newborns and young infants have a blockage of the tear duct, a small tube in the middle corner of the eye that drains tears.
Until that tube is fully open, tears and mucous can build up. By one year of age the tube should be open fully and the tears and mucous discharge should end. If the condition persists after age 1 year referral to any eye doctor is recommended.

In brief: Blocked tear duct
Dr. Thomas McDonagh
Dr. Thomas McDonagh
Dr. Michael Amster
In brief: Blocked tear ducts
Most likely the tear duct leading from the eyes down to the nose get obstructed by cell debris and mucous.
They are very thin anyways, and easily blocked. It's an innocent occurrence, and goes away after a couple months. Warm compresses help clean the gunk, and a wet finger rubbed over the duct (under the eye, down to the nose) can help some. If it doesn't resolve after several mo, see your doctor.

In brief: Blocked tear ducts
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Shontae Buffington