What is the best treatment for bulging discs?

Dr. Justin Esterberg
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Depends on pain

Depending on pain levels and individual results will vary.
If no pain there is no specific treatment that will reverse a bulging disc. It is best to not use tobacco, to stay fit and keep your abdominal and back muscles strong. Medications like antiinflammatories and muscle relaxers are often helpful when causing pain. If there is severe enough pain, an epidural injection may help.

In brief: Depends on pain

Dr. Justin Esterberg
Dr. Justin Esterberg
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Waiting

I believe that the pathological nature of disk bulges is arguable.
It is possible to see bulges in asymptomatic individuals and on the side opposite to presenting pain pattern. I have noted bulges absent at follow-up mri. Bulges are likely natural & no longer considered to be surgical targets. Always get a second opinion when it comes to surgical considerations; from a surgeon in another city.

In brief: Waiting

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley