Could my doctor have made a mistake during a cervical epidural steroid injection?

Dr. Lon Alexander
Neurosurgery

In brief: Yes, but very rare

Of course.
Any physician can make a mistake. Usually, this question is asked when a patient does not improve as quickly as they like. This does not mean a mistake was made. I find that rarely does the first injection help much; it is commonly the second one that begins the healing process. Discuss this with your pain management physician.

In brief: Yes, but very rare

Of course.
Dr. Lon Alexander
Dr. Lon Alexander
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Hard to Say

Without more info, No way to know.

In brief: Hard to Say

Without more info, No way to know.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. David Sherer
Anesthesiology

Yes, the needle could theoretically go in too far, or medicine might be injected directly into the blood instead of the epidural space.
Ask how many times he/she has done them and the complication rate!

Dr. David Sherer
Dr. David Sherer
Dr. Foead Geula
Anesthesiology

In brief: Maybe

Cervical epidural steroid injections are fairly common procedures with a low risk of complications if performed by appropriately trained physicians.
If your injection was done under fluoroscopy, your doctor should have a copy of the x-ray image, which would show needle placement and spread of contrast agent, indicating proper injection technique.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Foead Geula
Dr. Foead Geula
Dr. Vikram Patel