If the lymph nodes in my neck become swollen but I don't have any flu symptoms how likely is it to be cancer?

It depends on their . Painless enlargement of lymph nodes, if it persists for more than 2-3 weeks requires a physical examination by your doctor. Some of these situations are caused by cancer. But it depends on their size and continuting enlargemnt which would make me suspect cancer.
Monitoring Centers. Lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells and digested food. Lymph nodes "taste" the lymph for anything bad like bacteria/viruses/cancers, etc. When it detects a problem, it alerts the immune system and your body reacts. They enlarge in response to the inflammation they create when they react. They shrink when all is well.