I have had x-rays, an mri, nerve tests, and the doctors say they are all negative, but I still have a pain in my lower back, that shoots down my leg?

Dr. Bettina Herbert
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Whoops
The online address for the aao is academyofosteopathy.
Org, not aao.Com sorry.

In brief: Whoops
Org, not aao.Com sorry.
Dr. Bettina Herbert
Dr. Bettina Herbert
Dr. Bettina Herbert
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Misalignment
Many misalignments are biomechanical (how your body lines up and works - or doesn't) and may not show up on imaging.
They can be caused by old injuries, compensations to injuries or sugeries, deconditioning or by life. Now that you know it's not something scary, find a good do who does manipulation (biodo.Com, aao.Com, cranialacademy.Com). Once alignment is better, consider adding phys therapy.

In brief: Misalignment
Dr. Bettina Herbert
Dr. Bettina Herbert
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Further work up
There are other potential causes of neurological leg pain, some of which are dynamic and so they do not show up on nerve testing; piriformis stndrome is one exam. There are non- neurological causes as well including vascular disease.
A detailed history, exam, and appropriate studies may indicate the cause.

In brief: Further work up
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Craig Morton
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: See spine specialist
It is possible to have these pains despite normal studies.
A non-surgical spine specialist might be able to localize your pain generator. You can have nerve irritation from the spine that was not apparent on the MRI and emg's are frequently negative. In these cases diagnostic injections with anesthetic only can be used to help identify the source of your pain.

In brief: See spine specialist
Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Craig Morton