What causes hiccups?

Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: Diaphragm

Irritation of the diaphragm causes hiccups.
Usually due to swallowed air, but it can be a sign of a more serious problem and should be seen if it persists.

In brief: Diaphragm

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
2 comments
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
The diaphragm is a muscle between the chest and the belly. Not the device used for birth control purposes!
Good distinction Dr. T. Heidi

In brief: Possible causes

I agree with dr. Hines.
Some possible causes of hiccups can include: drinking too much alcohol or carbonated beverages, eating too fast & swallowing air; anxiety/ stress; injury to the vagus or phrenic nerves, noxious odors & benzodiazepine use. Hiccups can also occur as the result of chronic medical conditions or strokes.

In brief: Possible causes

I agree with dr. Hines.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology