I've recently developed pain in my ear and jaw joint or hinge and its a very bad shooting pain causing my head and neck to hurt, what could this be?

Common. Tmj would be most common. However must consider cancer especially if you use tobacco products.
TMJ. It is a very common problem. The jaw joint (tmj joint) can become inflammed causing, clicking (poping) jaw pain, and even ear pain. I tell patients to start out with a warm compress, soft diet, and nsaids. If you grind your teeth at night, that maybe the reason. If the problem continues, consider an evaluation by a dentist that treats TMJ (not all of them do - or like to).
TMJ. This could be a primary inflammation in your jaw joint due to poor occlusion of our teeth, or excessive grinding of your teeth, or a dental infection, cavity or cracked tooth. There could possibly be an ulcer or other in your mouth or jaw. Have it evaluated by your dentist 1st.
TMJ. Very likely TMJ. Complex problem. See TMJ specialist. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.