I've recently developed pain in my ear and jaw joint or hinge and its a very bad shooting pain causing my head and neck to hurt, what could this be?

Dr. Gregory Boger
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Common
Tmj would be most common.
However must consider cancer especially if you use tobacco products.

In brief: Common
Tmj would be most common.
Dr. Gregory Boger
Dr. Gregory Boger
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: TMJ
It is a very common problem. The jaw joint (tmj joint) can become inflammed causing, clicking (poping) jaw pain, and even ear pain.
I tell patients to start out with a warm compress, soft diet, and nsaids. If you grind your teeth at night, that maybe the reason. If the problem continues, consider an evaluation by a dentist that treats TMJ (not all of them do - or like to).

In brief: TMJ
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Thomas Hansbrough
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: TMJ
This could be a primary inflammation in your jaw joint due to poor occlusion of our teeth, or excessive grinding of your teeth, or a dental infection, cavity or cracked tooth.
There could possibly be an ulcer or other in your mouth or jaw. Have it evaluated by your dentist 1st.

In brief: TMJ
Dr. Thomas Hansbrough
Dr. Thomas Hansbrough
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: TMJ
Very likely TMJ. Complex problem. See TMJ specialist.
Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

In brief: TMJ
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham