My 6 day old sounds stuffy and sometimes wheezing. Is this normal and should I use a humidifyer?

Dr. Alan Greene
In brief: Yes and no
Some stuffiness or sneezing is normal in young babies because of their tiny nasal passages.
But much wheezing or coughing, on the other hand, might be signs of something that should be addressed, such as a respiratory infection or reflux.

In brief: Yes and no
Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Alan Greene
In brief: Not normal.
Unless you are confusing the nasal / upper airway noisy breathing for wheezing .I would have the baby seen by the doctor.

In brief: Not normal.
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
In brief: Clean the air
The first months are troubled by narrow nasal passages & exposure to dust, fragrances, smoke & other irritants.
Baby tries to flush these out of the nose with mucus but this often ends as congestion & produces rattling with breathing. The best rx is washing out the nose with saline & suctioning the remainder.Eliminate irritants from babies environment & this will happen less.Humidifiers do little

In brief: Clean the air
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Follow up with your baby's doctor if congestion and wheezing persists
Dr. Hana Solomon
In brief: YES
A humidifier is useful but you must be vigilant at cleaning the machine at least once per week.
If your child is stuffy, consider a nasal wash, safe, inexpensive, effective when done correctly.

In brief: YES
Dr. Hana Solomon
Dr. Hana Solomon
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology