Why do I have dull throbbing pain around top of my neck + base of skull + tops of ears externally with this bad cold? Could something else be wrong?

Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Could be anything

Could be any reason.
..But it is not uncommon for people to experience muscle aches when they are dealing with a viral infection very to similar to the body aches of the flu. Also when people are ill, they tend not to sleep in a normal comfortable position. It could also be stress associated with feeling ill. If it worsen or causes significant concern, see your primary care md.

In brief: Could be anything

Could be any reason.
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Vicken Poochikian