How do I help prevent the spread of diarreah and throwing up in a nursing home?

Brittany Chan

In brief: Good hygiene

Good hygiene is key, for both nurses/staff and the nursing home residents.
Always wash your hands thoroughly after caring for a resident, and make sure the residents wash their hands frequently as well, especially after throwing up or going to the bathroom. Sanitize tables, furniture, and other surfaces frequently. Finally, limit contact of sick residents with healthy residents.

In brief: Good hygiene

Brittany Chan
Brittany Chan
Answer assisted by Brittany Chan, Medical Student
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Notify nursing staff

Hopefully every institution has a protocol to deal with this.
They must be certain they do not have an epidemy that may turn catastrophic. If you are a relative or visitor notify the nursing staff. I agree with the other recommendations about washing hands, cleaning linen, desinfecting areas. What was the origen of the disease? Is it viral? Has anybody die from it?

In brief: Notify nursing staff

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Jonathan Jassey