We are ttc and I am battling some major depression. If I take an antidepressant and then stop when I get pregnant is that safe?

In brief: Yes, but
That would be safe.
However are you addressing the reaso n for your depression? And if you are how?

In brief: Yes, but
That would be safe.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Eric Anderson
In brief: Meds in Pregs
Tough question with no great answer! withdrawal from medications is not dangerous per se, but can be unpleasant.
However, for women who suffer from depression and stop their meds before or during pregnancy, there is a 50-60% rate of relapse to depression. The risk of birth defects due to medication exposure to the baby, while small, is still present. Very important talk to have with your doctor!

In brief: Meds in Pregs
Dr. Eric Anderson
Dr. Eric Anderson
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham