Can a post liver transplant patient have lapband surgery?

Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Hmmm?

I'm sure it is possible; but you need to discuss this with not only your primary care doc; but also the transplant team as well to iron out the nuances/kinks.

In brief: Hmmm?

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen

Probably the safest surgery for them.

Probably the safest surgery for them.
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson

In brief: Not the best option

Yes, but people post liver transplant usually take medications to prevent rejection of the transplant that cause weakness of your immune system and make you prone for infection.
The lap band involves placing a prosthetic (a plastic ring which is a foreign body) that could get infected. Therefore, a better option for transplanted patients would be the sleeve gastrectomy.

In brief: Not the best option

Dr. Dino Del Pino
Dr. Dino Del Pino
Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Higher than avg risk

Transplantation of the liver completely impacts the anatomy of the upper abdomen, which is also where the stomach (the target of the band) lives.
The amount of scar tissue (called adhesions) that results varies but is often too much to permit a simple laparoscopic operation of any type, especially when done by a surgeon without familiarity with liver txp, who might damage a key part of the txp.

In brief: Higher than avg risk

Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman

Transplant patients will technically do better with a procedure that doesn't cause malabsorption or leave a foreign body.
A sleeve can be an excellent choice as it meets this criteria. As transplant patients take immunosuppressive drugs, a band can be problematic as well as a bypass. All the procedures are possible in transplant patient but unless contraindicated, a sleeve would be my first choice.

Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: Band or sleeve, yes

A band or sleeve can be offered after liver transplant.
Will need to see a very experienced surgeon.

In brief: Band or sleeve, yes

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn