Can I get a tattoo after kidney transplant?

Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Why risk it?

I don't see why not, with the exception of potentially contracting an infection from improper technique/cleaning of instruments; and while being on immunosuppressive agents not something you want to have happen.
Double check with your doctors/transplant docs to be sure...But why risk it? Why not try a 'fake' tattoo; same eye appeal without the risk.

In brief: Why risk it?

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Yes-at a parlor

As long as the tattoo is done at a reputable tattoo parlor with sterile equipment, you should be ok.
I advise patients to wait until their steroids are stopped or reduced to a low level as this may affect the cosmetic outcome. It's always a good idea to discuss this with your doctor before proceeding.

In brief: Yes-at a parlor

Dr. Barry Browne
Dr. Barry Browne

In brief: Not advisable

Many piercing and tattoo parlors share instruments among many individuals and are not sterile environments.
There have been cases of transmission of infections, even hepatitis c. Tatoo at your own risk.

In brief: Not advisable

Dr. Stuart Flechner
Dr. Stuart Flechner
Dr. Richard Sarle
not worth the risk given the gift you have gotten...
Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Yes, but think twice

Any type of organ transplant is a new start, a new lease on life.
It is also an investment by the live donor....Or by society, if the organ came from the waiting list. And tattoos that are performed unsafely may jeopardize your health by transmission of dangerous infectious diseases. So the real question is whether you choose to have the tattoo performed, or not. If so, please use maximum safety.

In brief: Yes, but think twice

Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman