When I get a pain in my right wrist my finger lock up and I got to rub my wrist to use my finger again what is this?

Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Muscle cramp

Sounds like a muscle cramp.
Muscles can spasm causing the fingers to stay bent until the spasm resolves. Heat and massage can help ease the spasm. If you experience clicking in a certain finger when you open and close it, you might have a trigger finger.

In brief: Muscle cramp

Sounds like a muscle cramp.
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. Todd Siff
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Trigger finger

Generally, locking of the fingers or thumbs are caused by trigger fingers.
This is a benign condition in which the tendon becomes entrapped around a structure called the A1 pulley. If this is painful, an injection or surgery can improve the symptoms. If this is not painful, you can live with this as long as you have full range of motion and full function.

In brief: Trigger finger

Dr. Todd Siff
Dr. Todd Siff
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Trigger

If your finger locks up, it may be a trigger finger.
See your doctor and if it is a trigger finger, a cortisone shot may help you a lot.

In brief: Trigger

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine