When is it ok to pierce my baby's ears?

In brief: 3 months or 13 years

Children grow up just fine without getting their ears pierced.
Earrings snag on things. Earrings come off and become a choking hazard. If parents feel they need pierce their baby's ears, wait at least until the baby is 3 months old. Otherwise, children can get their ears pierced when they become teenagers, a time when they start learning more about personal grooming and cosmetics.

In brief: 3 months or 13 years

Although it is considered safe to have a baby's ears pierced i generally do not pierce infant ears.
I usually wait until the child is old enough to ask for them. If your baby does have earrings i recommend taking them out at night (after the holes have healed) to reduce the risk of accidental swallowing/choking.

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson

In brief: Child can care for

I've seen young children with pierced ears whose earlobes have been torn during rough play with siblings.
Metal allergies can be an issue, and if improperly fastened, the child may pull off and eat. I counsel my parents to let their children decide if they want pierced ears when the child is old enough to care for it themselves.

In brief: Child can care for

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Cindy Juster