I had an unprotected sexual encounter in thailand 22 days ago. I started on pep 10 hours after the incident. When can I get tested for hiv?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice
In brief: PeP and Testing
Good for you for starting on PeP.
We now also know that PreP works even more effectively. You cannot be tested accurately during the time you are on PeP. But, I will always send an HIV RNA test two weeks after PeP ends. This test would be extremely accurate and not need any further testing afterwards. But, if you have ongoing risk you should get tested every three months routinely & consider PreP

In brief: PeP and Testing
Good for you for starting on PeP.
Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: 6 weeks & 6 months
Pep (post exposure prophylaxis) is very effective in preventing HIV transmission.
However it is not 100% effective in every case. Most HIV infection can be detected 6 weeks after the transmission.However some cases are not apparent until 6 months after the transmission. If you have continued high risk activity then HIV testing is recommended several times each year.You also need a hepatitis b test.

In brief: 6 weeks & 6 months
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Dr. Jack Hinkle