Why would my doc give me a CT scan for my brain tumor fears if it doesn't pick up tumors? (he said I have no symptoms of one...Which is true)

Dr. Lon Alexander
Neurosurgery

In brief: CT scans show tumors

Why do you have a fear of a brain tumor, if you say you have no symptoms of one? It is not true that ct scans do not show tumors.
However, MRI scans usually reveal more than ct scans do. But MRI scans are much more expensive. Perhaps this is why ct scanning was chosen. Discuss this with your physician.

In brief: CT scans show tumors

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Fitst step

A ct is often the first step to check the brain because it is quicker and much cheaper than an MRI and easier on the patient in terms of claustrophobia and comfort.
Although a ct might to find every type of small brain tumor it is likely to find most larger ones. A MRI would not be appropriate if there are no symptoms or exam findings of concern in most situations.

In brief: Fitst step