I have finished treatment for stages 3 breast cancer. How often should I be tested to ensure the cancer hasn't returned?

Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Follow up important
Talk to your oncologist.
I tend to see patients every 3 months for physical and labs. Sooner if any concern arises.

In brief: Follow up important
Talk to your oncologist.
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
In brief: Care plan
The follow up plan for breast cancer is a good history and physical every 3-6 months for the first 2 years then every 6 months until 5 years then yearly.
It is not recommended to do a lot of scans as survival is equivalent for patients we routinely scan versus those that we follow as recommend above. A mammogram is recommended on affected breast 6 months after radiation then yearly.

In brief: Care plan
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
Ken Starnes
General Practice
In brief: Ask your oncologist
Your oncologist will lay out your follow up schedule.

In brief: Ask your oncologist
Ken Starnes
Ken Starnes
Answer assisted by Ken Starnes, Medical Student
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery