My child has had a cough runny nose for weeks sounds like he is choking when he coughs how serious could this be ?

Dr. Charlene Sojico
In brief: Not really
Sounds like a lot of drainage in the back of the throat .
Need to control the main problem to stop him from choking on his own mucus.Give him Claritin (loratadine) daily or the like and a decongestant /expectorant for 3-4 days.He should feel a lot better and get some sleep at night .So do you.

In brief: Not really
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Might be normal
Well, I have to say that i hear this in the office every day.
Parents say 'my child has been sick since halloween', etc. Problem is, that mostly this is not one long infection, but rather recurrent colds. Especially if the child has older sibs or is in day care, the average kid will have 1-2 colds per month and therefore seems sick all the time. Life is like a rollercoaster -sick, better, sick...

In brief: Might be normal
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
2 comments
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Etc... Just when you seem better, baby is sick again. Not much to do for that. It is normal for kids. Congestion is the worst part but you can't use cold meds at this age. Try a hot, steamy shower and a humidifier in the room. Prop baby up during sleep by putting books under the legs at one end of the bed, etc...
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Look in to Sambucol or sambucus...elderberry..."sambucus is good for the mucous". Also look at Chinese Herbacetuicals on www.franzcenter.com..A.I.R. really helps with mucousy conditions.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil