My butthole itches at night... Do I have worms?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Itchy Butt; Caffeine

Is the most common cause of anal itching not hemorrhoids as stated win the ads.
Pinworms can be another cause usually in children after playing in the dirt. But cokes, coffee, tea, chocolate, and energy drinks like red bull have lots of caffeine leading to severe itching and bleeding, even waking you from your sleep at night clawing at your bottom. Stop the caffeine!

In brief: Itchy Butt; Caffeine

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Maybe

Pinworms like to come out at night, lay eggs around the anus, irritating (itchy at night and usually other times too); makes you scratch, get your hands infested, touch your mouth swallow eggs, and get more (yucky, but clever adaptation on their part) could be other stuff, unrelated.
See your doc, get checked.

In brief: Maybe

See your doc, get checked.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller