I have fibromyalgia with symptoms of lupus is that common?

Dr. Steven Arbit
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
There are a lot of symptoms of both of these conditions that overlap.
Lupus can be ruled out with a few blood tests.

Dr. Steven Arbit
Dr. Steven Arbit
Dr. Chukwuma Onyeije
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Maybe.
Studies have shown that patients with lupus are at increased risk of developing secondary fibromyalgia.
Unfortunately, many of the (nonspecific) symptoms of fibromyalgia can also be seen in lupus. Therefore; if you have symptoms of lupus it would be important to seek specific lupus testing to avoid misinterpretation of what appears to be lupus activity.

In brief: Maybe.
Dr. Chukwuma Onyeije
Dr. Chukwuma Onyeije
Dr. Chad Boomershine
The overlap between lupus and fibromyalgia symptoms is large. It is VERY important to be evaluated for possible lupus if you are having concerns. This will involve an evaluation by an experienced rheumatologist and possibly specific tests on your blood and urine.
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Fibromyalgia/Lupus
Systemic lupus erythematosus [sle] and the fibromyalgia syndrome [fms] can both occur in the same person.
Approximately 40% of female sle patients also meet criteria for the diagnosis of fms. When they occur together, the symptoms are a mixture of the two. Both conditions can cause body pain, insomnia, and fatigue. Sle alone can cause kidney injury but that is not a feature of fms alone.

In brief: Fibromyalgia/Lupus
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham