How can I recognize a trigeminal neuralgia from a cluster headache? I have pain only in the right part of the head, over the eye and behind.

In brief: Very different

Both are nasty. The cluster headache awakens at night may last 30-60 minutes, be associated with unilateral eye reddening and tearing and nasal discharge.
The neuralgia can occur many times daily is pain over face which is intense and immobilizing, duration 5-10 sec., and may occur several times daily. Have your doctor select a medicaiton to reverse this.

In brief: Very different

Dr. James Goodrich
Neurosurgery

In brief: Trigeminal neuralagi

Trigeminal neuralgia has a very specific pain pattern.
Sudden electrical like pain that some people described like an electric wire placed on the face. Cluster headaches are more chronic in nature, lack the electrical shock feature and do not usually come on in a sudden fashion.

In brief: Trigeminal neuralagi

Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. Vikram Patel