I am rh- and after my miscarriage I did not recieve the rhogam shot, will I ever be able to carry a baby to term?

Dr. Danae Steele
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Get tested

Only a small percentage of rh negative women will develop antibodies to the rh protein after a miscarriage.
Ask your doctor or midwife to test you with an antibody screen to see if you have any antibodies. Even if you did develop antibodies the chances would be very good that your next pregnancy would be relatively normal.

In brief: Get tested

Dr. Danae Steele
Dr. Danae Steele
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Sure

But your pregnancy needs monitered very carefully and be prepared if an incompatibility shows itself.

In brief: Sure

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: You are probably OK

Dr steele's advice is good - an antibody screen looks for evidence that you had an immune response to rhesus factor after the miscarriage.
This may occur only if your partner is rh + and enough of baby's blood cells get into your circulation. Early miscarriage may not have enough fetal red blood cells to cause an immune response. So you are probably fine but in future get the Rhogam within 3 days.

In brief: You are probably OK

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman