At 11months my son was immunized for h1n1. Two days later he had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut. Coincidence or cause. There is no family hx.?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Coincidence

Anaphylactic reactions require previous exposure and the production of antibodies against the allergen (in this case peanut).
This process takes at least one week and usually two weeks. Your son was already sensitized when he received his h1n1 vaccine and was just waiting for a second exposure to peanut. Initial exposure may have been peanut in breast milk.

In brief: Coincidence

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Probable coincidence

I have never read of, seen a patient with, or been told by a colleague of such an occurance.
Highly unlikely causation.

In brief: Probable coincidence

Highly unlikely causation.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Coincidence

Flu vaccine contains no peanut products.
However, immunizations "gear up" the immune system. At least theoretically, a person is more prone to allergic reactions when the immune system is flared-up. For example, skin allergies often flare-up when nasal allerges are also flaring.

In brief: Coincidence

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Cindy Juster