I have anxiety and was previously on Paxil (paroxetine) (years ago) it did not help. Xanax does help, is it ok to ask my doc for it specifically?

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)

Although it is alright to ask, many doctors would like to look at trials of medication that have less risk for developing tolerance.
Combining a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor with cognitive behavioral therapy would be a reasonable plan. As a pscyhiatrist, i would prefer to treat my patient with a medication that addresses the underlying problem rather then just treating symptoms.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)

Dr. Eric Weisman