I recently had a septoplasty. It has been four weeks and I do not notice any difference pain is 95% gone. Is this normal? Does this happen sometimes?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Can be
Usually after a month my patients who undergo septoplasty (and almost always some type of turbinate reduction surgery) are 90% healed and breathing great.
Give it another few weeks and if you are still congested see you doctor. If not happy with what he or she says then get another opinion.

In brief: Can be
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
You should notice a difference by three weeks after your septoplasty, usually sooner than that; so if you don't notice any difference, it's time to ask the doctor what's up. If he/she cannot give you a reasonable answer, seek a second opinion.
Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: It is not uncommon
I'm sorry you feel this way.
Usually you will be at your new baseline of breathing within 4 weeks after surgery. There may be other factors causing you to still have nasal congestion. You might have environmental allergies that are more apparent after surgery. You may have had more than a simple septoplasty for surgery. Bottom line is that you should discuss your concerns with your ent.

In brief: It is not uncommon
I'm sorry you feel this way.
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. John Hoffmann
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Give it more time
It is common for congestion to persist for a few months after septoplasty.
Nasal saline spray might help. If you still have problems breathing through your nose in a couple of months you should be checked by your surgeon.

In brief: Give it more time
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Surgery no results
After four weeks, the swelling should be gone enough that you should notice the difference.
If you don't, then you need to talk to your doctor about this. If he/she does not give you a satisfactory answer, then seek a second opinion.

In brief: Surgery no results
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: Question not clear
To a difference in what are you referring? Breathing? If your breathing is no better see your surgeon you could have treatable internal swelling, an undiagnosed blood collection or you may be expecting too much too soon.

In brief: Question not clear
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Check w/ your ENT
Your recovery sounds normal with respect to the pain.
Septoplasty can be performed for differing reasons (obstructed breathing, rhinogenic headaches, sinus surgery, etc). Also there may be some other reasons why you're noticing any difference. Touch base with your surgeon and they can address your concerns and make sure everything is healing well.

In brief: Check w/ your ENT
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Discuss with Doctor
It is best for you to be examined by your doctor. At this point in time you should be noticing improvement in your breathing.
If not persistent obstruction may be caused by crusting, clots or a septal hematoma. This is best determined via a physical exammination.

In brief: Discuss with Doctor
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Vicken Poochikian