Will my baby's latch always hurt my nipples?

Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: No

No! it is common to feel some mild pain or discomfort in the first stages of breastfeeding, but nursing a baby should not hurt! if you are having nipple pain, the baby may not be latching right, you may need to change your position, or you may even have a mild infection.
Check with your OB or with a lactation consultant right away.

In brief: No

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: No

Increased sensitivity in the nipples is part of the bodies preparation for breat feeding & some might sense pain without true injury or infection.
Being sure to get a proper latch & breaking suction with your finger can decrease the stretch that may traumatize the nipple. Work with your lactation consultant to learn the techniques that work for you.

In brief: No