I have a sharp pain in my chest when I cough or sneeze. What causes this?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Possibilities...
This pain is likely musculoskeletal if it is not present all the time.
Possible causes include strained muscle, cartilage inflammation or a fractured rib, especially if you have been coughing for a while. Once the cough resolves, this pain will improve over time. If not, see your doctor.

In brief: Possibilities...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Pathology
In brief: Fold in the pleura
This is usually caused by a transient fold in the pleura, the lining of the inside of the chest wall.
It is a non-problem. If it becomes much worse or is persistent, an office visit is appropriate to rule out spontaneous pneumothorax.

In brief: Fold in the pleura
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology