Low blood sugar. What causes it?

Definition is key. True and clincally significant 'low blood sugar' is actually not as simple as 'below a cut-off.' for diabetics it is (we say <70 is low), bc they are on meds that can cause severe lows. But for non-diabetics/healthy ppl, sugar in 40's can be normal. It becomes a problem only if it causes true hypoglycemic symptoms- in that case, see endocrinologist for confirmation and evaluation of cause.
Glucose metabolism. There are different forms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). The most common is called reactive hypoglycemia in which the sugar rises high and then dips low a few hours later. My personal view is that this is an early stage in the development of diabetes. If you go the exercise and diet route this is not a high risk, however. A six meal, low carb diet is best.
4 reactive hypoglyce. Eat only meat or fish or cheese or eggs or poultry and low starch veggies, drink only water. In other words avoid all carbs, carbs will only briefly raise your sugar levels and then you will get hungry again. The fats in the meat or fish or cheese or eggs or poultry will act like a "log on your metabolic fire" to keep your blood sugar stable for hours.