My 5 yr old girl has had a dry cough for 2 yrs. It only comes when she is active (running, swiming, playing)...Her doctors say not to worry, ideas?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Be concerned!

Your child may have exercise induced asthma.
This can be life threatening. There is testing to see if this is the case or if other things are causing her cough. Does she wheeze? Is she on asthma medications? Get seen by a reputable pcp, pediatrician, pediatric pulmonologist or at a children's hospital.

In brief: Be concerned!

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal

In brief: Bronchospasm?

Exercise induced bronchospasm or asthma would be my guess.
Ask your doctor what he thinks and if possible, ask to get an albuterol inhaler for a "trial". If you daughter uses it before getting active and it prevents her cough, then you've made the diagnosis of exercise induced asthma.

In brief: Bronchospasm?

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Cindy Juster