Hey. I smoked for 1 year can I develope lung cancer in my age? Im 18 years old and worried , my self to blame. Can i test my lungs to calm down?

Dr. Loki Skylizard
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: No test

Lung cancer generally develops over numerous years.
It is unlikely for you to develop lung cancer in short term. Having smoked does increase risk over longterm. There is no indicated screening test for your age and extent of exposure. Stopping, and stopping young will allow your increased risk for both lung and other diseases to decrease. http://goo.gl/q3itr.

In brief: No test

Dr. Loki Skylizard
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Quit Now!

No time better than the present.
At your age, the risk of lung cancer now is very low and not worth testing. However, the exposure at present will increase the cancer risk later in life. Quit before significant risks develop.

In brief: Quit Now!

No time better than the present.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Ariel Lopez-chavez
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Unlikely

Extremely unlikely that you can develop lung cancer at your age after smoking for only 1 year. There is no need for further testing as long as you don't have any other symptoms.
However, if you do have other symptoms see your doctor. Take this opportunity to stop smoking once and for all. If you continue smoking your risk of cancer can increase. Best wishes, ariel.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Ariel Lopez-chavez
Dr. Ariel Lopez-chavez
Dr. Lopez-Chavez is correct. I admire your courage in writing this. If you have not yet stopped, now is the time. It will get more and more difficult. If you did stop, then congratulations are in order. You should be very proud.

In brief: Unlikely

Stop smoking and after 5 years you will reduce your lifetime risk for lung cancer to close to never smoking.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. William Mitchell
Dr. William Mitchell
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery