What kind of doctor should I see for low back pain?

Simple solutions. Start with your primary care doctor. Chiropractic physicians provide conservative management and can order xrays as necessary. Several large, recent studies show chiropractic is the safest and most cost effective interventions. Word of mouth referral is best place to start. American academy of osteopathy (aao) can help you locate a do in your area specializing in structural medicine.
Spine Pain Options. This chronic pain in the distribution as you suggested is the result of an irritated nerve or facet joints or other injury typically in the lumbar spine (low back) which are caused by herniated disks, spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease, etc requiring further evaluation by a spine specialist and may be candidate for facet injections/radiofrequency ablation and epidural steroid injection.
A Spine Specialist. A spine specialist is a specific type of orthopedic surgeon who specializes in conditions, deformities and treatments of the spine. A spine specialty designation means the doctor has additional training and expertise in conditions that affect the spine.
Orthopedic surgeon. Orthopedic surgeons are the best place to start for low back pain. Alternatively you can see a physical medicine doctor.