I just got my wisdom teeth out. How can I avoid dry sockets since I have heard they were common?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Don't play with them
Keep your tongue away from them. It is very common for the tongue to migrate to that area and feel what is going on.
.. Keep your tongue away.

In brief: Don't play with them
.. Keep your tongue away.
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Charles Mann
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: VIGOROUS IRRIGATION
A dry socket is form of osteitis(bone infection) and occurs primarily because of food and mouth debris.
Vigorous saline mouth rinses after eating with saline and irrigation with a syringe and plastic tube(provided by the dentist usually, or can easily be constructed) will prevent this complication.

In brief: VIGOROUS IRRIGATION
Dr. Charles Mann
Dr. Charles Mann
Dr. Marsha Davis