My husband has had severe leg pain (shin and ankle area) for over 2 years. He has had xrays, mri, worn a boot, no diagnosis yet. What do we need to do?

Dr. Mark Cantieri
Pain Management
In brief: Tendon
I would suggest evaluating his proximal and distal tibialis anterior tendons by palpation and ultrasound.
Also whether hew has lost arch height. As a person ages and the foot lengthens the arch drops. The tibialis muscle contarcts and trigger points are activated within in causing referred pain into the ankle and foot. Treatment involves orthotics and prolotherapy to the foot and ankle.

In brief: Tendon
Dr. Mark Cantieri
Dr. Mark Cantieri
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management
In brief: More evaluation
Hard to answer. It may be still a problem with lumbar spine/disc even if MRI was negative.
So called "disc disruption" may cause irritation of nerve roots. On a local level, a nerve impingement or muscle hernia may cause shin/ankle pain. Diagnostic ultrasound may help.

In brief: More evaluation
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In brief: More Info
With more information we could better define what might be the cause.
At any rate, it might be time to take your information, records and films for a second opinion. Be prepared to retell the entire history in detail. I would recommend taking some time a few days before hand to write out everything with dates, treatments tried (and failed) and anything that seems to modify the symptoms.

In brief: More Info
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Cheryl White
Pain Management
In brief: See a specialist
See a reputable pain management specialist who can diagnose and treat the specific condition that is causing the pain.
Could be coming from many causes, including but not limited to his spine, hip, leg or an underlying disease.

In brief: See a specialist
Dr. Cheryl White
Dr. Cheryl White
Dr. Vikram Patel