I had ankle surgery and was put to sleep. Now my nose stings on one side and my eye tears up on the same side. Did i catch something?

Dr. Imtiaz Chaudhry
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Corneal abrasion

During sleep eyes could stay open and need to be closed by tape.
If left exposed, patient may awake up with foreign body sensation, tearing, pain and photophobia in one or both eyes which usually resolves. Initially, lubricating drops and ointment may help to heal the corneal dryness or even epithelial defect.

In brief: Corneal abrasion

Dr. Imtiaz Chaudhry
Dr. Imtiaz Chaudhry

In brief: When?

How long ago was your surgery? With general anesthesia, a tube is inserted to keep your airway open while under. This can often cause some temporary irritation which generally resolves without treatment.
Standing in a steamy shower or using a humidifier for a few days can help. It is unlikely that you caught anything from the or as it is a sterile environment.

In brief: When?

Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Jack Hinkle