Can I be allergic to raw fuits and veggies? I can eat them cooked no problem but raw my tounge and throat swell along with ichyness in the same area.

Dr. Brian Novick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Yes but you may have
Oral allergy syndrome--- i suspect you have allergies to pollens(tree, grass, etc) .
..When you eat the raw fruits and veggies your body thinks its eating a lot of pollen. However since your tongue& throat are affected , i would stop eating those foods until you see an allergist.

In brief: Yes but you may have
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Steven Machtinger
In brief: Oral allergy
Syndrome. Symptoms are likely due by cross-reactivity between proteins in the fruits & vegetables & allergens in some pollens - mostly birch tree & ragweed.
You are allergic to these allergens that cause hay fever in spring & late summer respectively. When you eat that raw fruit your immune system thinks you're eating pollen & reacts. Cooking alters these proteins so they no longer resemble pollen.

In brief: Oral allergy
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Jack Mutnick
This is a type 2 food allergy.
It is a true food allergy, but is better known as oral allergy syndrome. It is the raw fruits and veggies that cause the oral sensation. Cooking or processing of the food (eg.. Raw apple: itch/tingle; apple sauce or apple pie: no problems) renders the allergen ineffective. See an allergist for testing to find out what you are truly allergic to.

This is a type 2 food allergy.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Marsha Davis