I have had a cough for a year, have been tested for asthma and I don't have it. There is no infection and I regularly lose my voice what could it be?

Dr. Brian Novick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Few possibilities

First i would be sure you had " complete pfts.
" including methacholine challenge .If that has all been done, gastric reflux is a possibility ..As is chronic rhinosinusitis causing postnasal drip---> coughing. I would also have full allergy skin testing and if all that had been done --maybe upper endoscopy.

In brief: Few possibilities

Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Complex

The three most common causes of cough are asthma, esophageal reflux or gerd, and sinus issues.
You should review all your medications with your doctor for side effects. If you have not had a ct scan of the chest i would do one even if your x ray is normal. Infections like mai are possible. I normally also include a battery of tests for allergy and rheumatologic disorders.

In brief: Complex

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology