How can I cure my urinary tract infection?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Antibiotics + fluids
Most reliable and fastest way to cure a UTI is with antibiotics, long-acting Nitrofurantoin macrocrystals (macrobid) twice daily with food or milk, trrimethoprim-sulfa ds (bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) or septra) or Ciprofloxacin (cipro) are all effective providing the bacterial organism is sensitive.
Also drink lots of water to flush ou the bugs. I do not recommend cranberry juice or capsules or other herbs alone.

In brief: Antibiotics + fluids
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Antibiotics or herbs
The standard treatment of uti's is antibiotics like Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) and nitrofurantoin, which require prescriptions and can cause side effects.
Natural alternatives are often effective. D-mannose (found in cranberry juice) works for e. Coli, which causes 90% of uti's- see http://www.D-mannoseworks.Com/ herbs such as uva ursi & andrographis also often work well. If natural approaches fail see your doctor.

In brief: Antibiotics or herbs
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
2 comments
Dr. George Klauber
Cranberry juice does NOT cure UTIs! It can & does prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder lining. There is no evidence that anything other than antibiotics can kill bladder bacteria. Drinking lots of water to dilute urine + frequent urination to empty bladder of bacterial congaing urine may eventually get rid a UTI, but this can can take a very long time and is only successful in some cases. I advise against "natural" UTI "cures, which are no more effective than drinking lots of water.
Dr. Randy Baker
Quoting from the article by Jonathan Wright I linked above, "By far the most frequent use of D-mannose has been by thousands of women who have suffered single (nonrecurrent) episodes of bladder infection. In over 90% of such cases, 1 teaspoon of D-mannose every two to three hours clears the infection in one to three days." I have seen D-Mannose work in many of my patients. Re: the contention that there is no evidence that nothing other than antibiotics can kill bladder bacteria, " Two studies evaluated the antibacterial power of the urine of people who were taking uva ursi and found activity against most major bacteria that infect the urinary tract. "- this is quoted from http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21411 I often prescribe antibiotics for UTI's and natural options are not always effective, but for many simple UTI's D- Mannose and/or herbs are often effective.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham