I'm having da vinci robotic hysterectomy. It is considered outpatient; for what reason would they keep me in the hospital longer than 1 night/23 hrs?

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics

In brief: Da Vinci

Mainly for pain control with IV pain medication.
Also, if bleeding was an issue during surgery, they might want to keep you longer.

In brief: Da Vinci

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Slow recovery

Most women can go home within a few hours of that procedure.
However, some women will experience more nausea due to the anesthesia and will require longer observation afterward. It is uncommon, but some women have problems with pain or pain medication and will require longer before discharge.

In brief: Slow recovery

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Problems

If you develope complications or surgeons wil be concerned about bleeding, lab.
Work or your urine output.

In brief: Problems

Work or your urine output.
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Unnsual

Only if it finishes late at night, it is more difficult than expected, there is an anesthesia issue with nausea, or more bleeding than expected.
Normally you should go home the same day.

In brief: Unnsual

Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Bruce Pierce
Usually nausea is the most common reason a patient would need to stay longer than 23 hours. To help avoid this, we have a protocol that includes, both medication and mechanical ways to significantly decrease this side effect.
Dr. Alan Patterson

In brief: Please ask the doc

Who is doing your surgery, your surgeon should discuss that with you as your surgeon knows you and why the surgery is being done and your medical condotion which I do not, so please call your surgeon and ask him or her that ?

In brief: Please ask the doc

Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Adam Levy