Why when I go to sleep I feel like I go into a deep sleep and wake up gasping for air feels like im gonna die?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Sleep apnea or

Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common cause of this symptom, but there are other causes (including ondine's curse).
A sleep study will show precisely what the cause is.

In brief: Sleep apnea or

Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Pathology

In brief: R/o CHF

The other entity to rule out is early congestive heart failure ("paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea").
Blood backed up in your lungs produces a vicious cycle by pressing on the pulmonary veins as you sleep -- you break it only by sitting up. It feels horrible and many physicians don't know the real explanation. Good luck.

In brief: R/o CHF

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine