Hello I have been experiencing a really sore pain of the back of my tongue and I've noticed big red bumps? Just wondering what they could be... :(

Dr. David Gisborne
Dentistry

In brief: Normal Anatomy

Circumvallate papillae are probably the large round structures you have observed looking at the back of your tongue.
They can get locally infected but are normal anatomic structures. The sore could be the result of trauma or infection. If it persists for longer than two weeks you should have it examined.

In brief: Normal Anatomy

Dr. David Gisborne
Dr. David Gisborne
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Exam for Diagnosis

The big red bumps may be nothing more than normal taste buds, although that would not explain the pain and cannot be assumed without actually having a dentist or another health care provider actually taking a look.
If you have no other symptoms see your dentist. If you have any other symptoms check with your physician.

In brief: Exam for Diagnosis

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler