What causes a toe fungus to spread to the other toe nails on the opposite foot?

Contact. Fungus can be transferred by fomites or non-living objects such as socks, shoes or carpet. It can also be spread if the infected foot comes in contact with the non-infected foot. It is important to let your feet and shoes dry out regularly to avoid a moist environment that fungus likes. There are also fungal treatments that can be found in your local pharmacy.
Proximity. Once you have a fungus on your toenails it can slowly spread to other nails on the same or opposite foot. This is generally not a highly contagious condition but often spreads to other toes because they are in contact with each other.
Contact. It is a fungus and therefore can spread by contact from the source to other areas.