I have been having pretty bad sciatic nerve pain for the last 3 weeks. Do I need to seek medical help or can I do something on my own to help it?

Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management

In brief: See a doctor

Although usually sciatica is a self-limited problem, it may take 3-5 weeks see your family doctor to get some analgesics and evaluation of potential serious issues.

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Core strengthening

Exercises that strengthen the core can be helpful in maintaining integrity and reduce stress on the spine.
Typically disc herniations will resolve on their own as soon as 3-6 weeks or as late as 6-9 months. Just depends on how you take care of yourself, exercise, anti-inflammatories, tylenol (acetaminophen) and if you need to lose weight that will help immensely. You may still need an epidural steroid injection

In brief: Core strengthening

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: See your doctor

3 weeks of sciatic pain (pain running from your back down your leg) deserves an evaluation.
An MRI is likely in order.

In brief: See your doctor

An MRI is likely in order.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld