Shoud I get a shingles vaccine this yr?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: Depends
It depends on your age, your medical condtition and your indication for this immunization.
It is generally recommended for those 60 and over but is now being given to those 50 and over. Those with immunosuppression, lymphoid diseases and certain cancers, transplants etc are usually excluded. Talk to your pcp or pharmacist about this. It's a great immunization. Shingles is a bad deal!

In brief: Depends
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Geoffrey Tyson
Pain Management
In brief: Yes.
The shingles vaccine is indicated for anyone over the age of 50 or if you are at higher risk for development of shingles, such as having some form of immune compromise.
The shingles vaccine will not only decrease you chances of getting shingles but, more importantly in my mind, significantly decreases your chances of getting post-herpetic neuralgia, a miserable post-shingles pain condition.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Geoffrey Tyson
Dr. Geoffrey Tyson
Dr. Marsha Davis